Wednesday, June 13, 2012

MAC - Week 3 - Reading Post (5-8) - BTFI


MAC – Week 3 – Reading Blog – CH 5-8 - BTFI

I am continuing to read Zander’s book, The Art of Possibility.  As I read, I take notes on parts that stand out to me or analogies that I wish to reiterate.  Here are my gems from chapters 5-8.


Chapter 5. Leading from Any Chair 

I really enjoyed the piece on how Zander had changed his perception on his own leadership.  His original motive was to convey his interpretation and possible be more successful at conducting.  Instead, he began to focus on having each band member perform to their own potential.  It is an excellent analogy of how a teacher can refocus on the students, instead of their own careers. 

The leader may be any one of us.

Chapter 6. Rule Number 6

Lighten Up – And others will lighten up around you.  Humor is the best way to get over ourselves.

Lessons I learned in this chapter were “Rule Number 6” and how to have the best sex ever.  Wow, the curriculum scope &sequence of Full Sail is very far reaching.  In reality, the key to The Best Sex Ever – Is learning to live life in the realm of possibility. – You can imagine there are three steps to reach all goals. – You can change the steps as often as you want to meet your goals.  Play the - “Have the best ____ ever.” – Game.  “Have IT” – Be fulfilled.

Chapter 7. The Way Things Are

ATTENTION makes things grow.  You shine attention on something you get more of it.  If you pay attention to problems, they grow.  I have heard very similar advice before.  It may have been from my Concious Discipline.  As a teacher, I have used it and it really works.  In the beginning I would focus on Katrina’s slow reading speed, poor math skills or obnoxious behavior. Remember, I was trying to help these problems, but in reality they grew.  Instead I began to focus on what I wanted more of.  I would focus on Katrina’s instances of good behavior, her skill at previous levels of math and reading.  Just focusing on the positive attributes helps not only Katrina, but the whole class by example.  When used, it seems almost as a miracle.  However, it is very easy to slip into the old stand-by, “that is the third time this week you have not completed your homework.”  It is more of a lifestyle shift than a simple rule change.

Chapter 8. Giving Way to Passion

Three key pieces of advice from chapter eight that I plan to incorporate in my life.  All three seem to unlock potentials in exponential ways. 

One buttock playing = One buttock teaching

BTFI – Beyond The “F” It – Just thinking about it, makes me feel “FREE”.
Participate!

Sources:



1 comment:

  1. Cherylee,

    I am going to live life by BTFI, freeing indeed. I believe by giving way to our passions we can incite passion in others and provide the spark they need to push them to fulfill their dreams. By not accepting a "glass half-empty" mentality or approach we can change the way things are into what we need them to be for us to accomplish anything. As long as we realize that life is too short for us to take ourselves too seriously, we will be able to take the liberty of allowing others to take the wheel, to empower them to reach new heights and learn from their leadership as we provide the opportunity for them to find themselves.

    ReplyDelete