Thursday, June 14, 2012

MAC – Week 4 – Response to Melinda, Maui & Middle School


MAC – Week 4 – Response to Melinda, Maui & Middle School

Melinda,

It appears that “Being the Board” had a far more personal meaning to you.  I found it sobering that the example in the book could be very real for one of our cohort.  I also found it very courageous that you chose to share.  I hope you found some valuable advice in Zander’s writing.


As for your response to the “Frameworks” chapter, I too have had students that “can be extremely challenging. Either in academically challenged or problems with the student’s behavior.”  I know it is difficult to believe, but yes, I can relate.  I have found that the quest to “spark” or “ignite” them has usually turned these “challenging” students into some of my finest memories.  It seems as if sometimes they feel you trying to reach them and they in respond in return.  I wish I had documented my experiences through the first few years of teaching.  I think they would bring back moments of inspiration or “spark” that I may have long forgotten.


Original Post: - Week 4 Reading Post-Art of Possibility – Melinda Lyle-Javier

“Lighting a Spark”
Very cosmic, I give myself to others and generate a spark. INTERESTING! This is really powerful if one can be that positive and put out something and then be ready for it to return. I feel that most of us experienced this “spark” as we completed and reflected on our AR Projects.

“Being the Board”
Don’t have a victim mentality. Many people experience tragedies in their life. Some big and some small. The way these tragedies or challenges are faced makes an enormous difference. I know personally it can be easy to fall into the victim mentality. A drunk driver killed my husband when our daughters were very young. I had moments of “poor thing me.” Thank goodness I realized that being the poor thing would help no one, especially our daughters.

In every circumstance professionally or personally take your energy and challenge yourself to move in a positive direction. I know it is not easy, however it will work.

“Frameworks for Possibility”
Such an interesting chapter, and again try to manifest positive thinking. The “spark” can lead to awesome things. As teachers there are times that one student can be extremely challenging. Either in academically challenged or problems with the student’s behavior. We always have to try to determine how to inspire that student, how to help that student achieve their academic goals. Not an easy task. If we use “frameworks for possibility”, and think outside the box possibly we will find the answer. As a teacher one of the most effective ways for me to really look at classroom situations with a clear vision is though my journals. I try to write notes on each of the students daily. This information really provides me with a direction when I have questions about a particular student.

"Telling the WE Story”
Our school community is a WE story. Focusing on my classroom…. What is our next step? For some students they graduated from the 8th grade and the next school year they will enter high school. For others it is the common experiences shared during this school year that will shape our classroom community. I have my students for 2 years during they’re the 7th and 8th grade year. The returning 7th grade students will be the leaders for next year. They will help the incoming 7th grade students learn about our classroom community. They will be mentors, and this cycle continues every year.

Link to Original Post:  http://melindaonmaui.blogspot.com/

Photo:  Flickr Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment